Introduction and background
This publication is a profile that the University of Health Sciences Bosaso has produced to support the achievement of our goal as an institution. Aiming to reverse the declining trends in key health sector indicators, The College of Health Sciences Bosaso was established in September of the year 2000 in response to the scarcity of medical professionals in Somalia at that time as a result of the civil war that caused killings and gravitation of most medical personnel to other countries.
Since its inception, 847 students have graduated from the college out of which 512 are female and 335 are male
In light of the fact that the college has responded to the demand to improve the health system of Puntland state of Somalia and succeeded in producing competent medical health practitioners, as well as having over 18 years of experience in both facets of community and formal health care trainings, the government of Puntland state of Somalia through its ministry of health chartered the college and elevated it to a University status in the year 2012 and named it The University Of Health Sciences.
Health for all is the global strategy for health development as advocated by WHO. Health sector in Puntland State of Somalia is in line with this strategy and would wish to achieve a better health for the community through people initiative, capacity building, empowerment and involvement. This is in tandem with what the University of Health Sciences stands for and it has expanded the community based health care through various programs that it has initiated.
The University has the following overall goal and objectives.
To achieve sustainable community development and change with regard to health issues through participatory community based health care, training of formal health care providers, empowerment and community sensitization/mobilization through health education.
- Increase equitable health care service provision.
- Improve the quality and responsiveness of services in the health sector.
- Improve efficiency and effectiveness of health service delivery.
- Capacity building of healthcare providers through trainings and upgrading.
- Foster partnerships with other Universities abroad and conduct research with the aim of improving health and service delivery.
- Enhance community participation and involvement in healthcare; inculcate ownership and sustainability through community based health care (CBHC) and primary healthcare (PHC) programs.
- Participate in the discovery, creation, transmission, preservation and enhancement of knowledge to stimulate the intellectual participation of students and staff in economic, social, cultural, scientific and technological development.
- Play an effective role in the development and expansion of opportunities for University education
To be recognized as a premier health University of choice whose graduates competently and confidently serve the nation of Somalia, African region and the global community.
To foster a conducive and enabling environment for the holistic development of students through provision and/or facilitation of quality development and welfare services both outside and within the classroom.
In order to realize the vision and mission, Dean of students’ department shall.
- Espouse the virtues of truth, integrity, honesty, tolerance, professionalism, team work and meritocracy.
- Promote and defend freedom of thought and association.
- Be creative and innovative.
- Ensure openness and transparency in all dealings and operations.
- Nurture responsible corporate citizenship and strong social responsibility.
- Implement government and international conventions and guidelines on gender, disability and marginalization in the University.
There-in lies the faculties of the University of Health science as of to date;
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of nursing;
- Faculty of medical laboratory
- Faculty of pharmacy;
- Faculty of midwifery;
- Faculty of public health;
- Faculty Of Environmental Sciences
- Faculty of Nutrition
The table 1.1 below gives a summary of number of graduates who form the alumni of this great centre of learning since its inception.
Table 1.1 Alumni of University of Health Science
|Batches||Number of grandaunts||faculty||Degree type||Female||Male||Date of graduation|
To join a faculty, an applicant has to meet selection criteria as laid down here-in:
- Submit a secondary school certificate (12 years general education); priority is to be given to those with high marks in science subject combinations.
- Pass a health standard and medical fitness set by the training authority.
- Submit a valid certificate of good conduct.
- Pass a personal interview.
- Pass an entry examination.